Your McKenzie Friend


Support and guidance to help you represent yourself in the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Family Courts


Click here for free initial telephone or email advice on your divorce or children law issue

Help with Divorce


Do you want to apply for a divorce? Have you received divorce papers and don't know what to do?


Applying for a divorce


To apply for a divorce you need to complete a 'divorce petition' and pay the court fee. You need to send the orginal and 2 copies of your divorce petition to your local family court along with your marriage certificate.


If you are on a low income you may not need to pay the fee. In this case you will need to complete the 'fee exemption form' and there is information about this here:



This is the link to the divorce petition


Forms are updated and you should make sure you are using the most recent version of the form. No liability is accepted for loss arising from use of this guidence.




Have you received divorce papers and don’t know what to do next?


Here are a few tips:


  • If you have children, then it is important to keep things as normal as possible for them, no matter how old they are, they do not want to become involved in your issues. Even though you are hurting the children need to be protected from it. They don’t need to know that your ex is a “liar”, “cheat” or “low-life scumbag”. They do need to know that things are changing and how they will be affected by the change. Keep it simple for them.


  • Try to agree a way forward between yourselves or with the help of a third person such as a mediator who is impartial. Think about what the issues are, ie children and finances are usually the two main considerations.


  • Don’t got bogged down over possessions, think about the practicalities is it worth spending more than it is worth keep it?


  • Be realistic about what you expect to get at the end of it. You won’t get everything because your ex has been unfaithful or because you care for the children. It is worth getting legal advice at the start about the likely outcome. If you can’t afford to instruct a solicitor to represent throughout, at least get advice to see if what you want is realistic.


  • Don’t ignore it and hope it will go away. It is better to have some communication and reach an agreement that you can live with rather than have something forced on you by a Court.



If you need any help completing the forms or understanding the process please contact us for some initial free advice.



email: enquiries@yourmckenziefriend.org.uk

Tel: 07903590117 & 07903590125

Directors: Carol Marsh and Helen Maltby

Your Mckenzie Friend Ltd Company Registration No: 08692272

Registered office: The Circle, 33 Rockingham Lane, Sheffield S1 4FW

We use cookies to collect anonymous visitor information. In using this website you are deemed to accept our use of cookies.